1. I am an EU national. Can I vote in the forthcoming Belgian local elections?
Yes, in line with the law of 27 January 1999. In order to be included in the electoral role, you have to fill in a pre-set form.

2. Which documents do I need to register with the commune administration?

An identity document, proof of your means of subsistence, information on your medical insurance cover.

3. If I move within Belgium, must I repeat the entire registration process at the commune administration?

No, you go to the commune administration in your new commune and they will request your file.

4. Where can I obtain a certificate of good conduct ("certificat de bonne vie et moeurs")?

From the police in your commune or the consulate of the country where you were resident before coming to Belgium.

5. Is it necessary to exchange my driving licence?

No, it has not been necessary to exchange one's driving licence since 1 July 1996, provided it has been issued by another EU country.

6. Must I register my tenancy agreement? If yes, where and why?

Once a lease has been signed, it must be registered within two months. Since 1 January 2007, this legal obligation to register the tenancy agreement falls under the obligations of the landlord. Failure to register gives the tenant the right to end the lease at any time, without giving prior notice or paying any penalty.

7. I am a civil servant in the European institutions, must I pay the regional tax?

Yes. This tax (89.90 €) is payable by all heads of household who occupy as their main or secondary residence all or part of a building located in the Brussels-Capital region.

8. Does my tenancy agreement meet legal requirements?

If you have any doubts, ask us. (Tel: 02 280 00 80). We can show you a model tenancy agreement  which can help to solve many of your problems.

9. Do cohabitants have to pay twice the regional tax?

No, if they declare to be a couple to their personnel department or to the communal administration when they register.